Friday, September 19, 2014

[a new dam ship!]

Koningsdam.That's the new  Holland America ship's name. And it got a rather..interesting reaction. A lot of people don't care for it.

(Just a primer here for those not in the know:The same names have been used for multiple ships, so I think they're on their fourth or fifth Statendam). I'm all for recycling(HA!) but I kinda like that they went with a new name. It is to honour the current King Of The Netherlands(they haven't had a king in a LONG time,so this is a big deal!) I wonder if the King knows he's got a ship named after him now!

Also, they're going slightly larger(larger than Eurodam *and* Niew Amsterdam which are BIG ships!) . But compared to the Royal Caribbean gargantuan ships, it's a pleasure cruiser.  Rock climbing walls and the like are all well and good for some people but they'd look out of place on a HAL ship(That's putting it mildly..)

Confession time tho:I would *totally* go on one of those Royal Caribbean ships.Just the once.To see what it was like. From what I've read, they're NOT  as crowded as you'd think. When we went on our Caribbean cruise, the shuttle from our hotel went to the Royal Caribbean terminal first,and almost everyone, save for my parents and I, got off the shuttle at the Royal Caribbean terminal.We saw the Royal Caribbean ship up close and it is HUGE-though now they have the Quantum of the Seas which is even bigger.

My prediction:the next monster  cruise ship will  be articulated, like a city bus. Or be stretched out with  walkways going from one section of the ship to the other!  Or something that's like a cross between the USS Midway, a mega-ship and the Queen Mary. The crazy thing is, I think it'd be a hit! Have it docked someplace with a port(obvs. even though they're not going anywhere.)-like San Diego-we've got so few cruise ships coming  to our port anymore it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment