Thursday, September 11, 2014

[this day will always be difficult for me]

I didn't lose any family on 9/11 but the day made its impression on me. I sill become emotional thinking about that day, 13 years ago. I remember that I woke up, I had fallen asleep on the couch.The TV was on, and I remember sort of half being able to see what was going on. Then I put my glasses on and I saw the whole picture.. and it was terrible.

To this day, a few days before, I tend to get very emotional, very overwhelmed. This morning is a good example. I was woken out of a sound sleep by a train horn that was loud and sustained.Several times. Any other day I'd have been "eh" but today..because of what day it is, I was rattled by it.

I talked about this on Twitter but what I remember the most about what happened right after 9/11-within hours-was how the military  bases shut down. One of my friends, whose dad was in the Navy at the time, tried to get on the Navy base, but by the time that she got there it was closed to all non-essential personel

Hell, even the *malls* closed down. A *lot* of things closed down-we'd no idea what they might attack next,so it was erring on the side of caution.There were no flights for a couple of days(again, that was understandable,though they knew they would have to start getting things back to normal eventually.

To me, going through the security checkpoint is a small price to pay. Yes, people like to bitch about it(especially if they have to fly, for work or whatever.)but it's such a minor thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment