Monday, March 2, 2015

[What I'm reading March 2015]

Just finished Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs. I've decided that I like the Bones books a whole lot more than I do the TV show(I like the show fine;but the season finale last year was just a hot mess. I've liked quite a few episodes this season,I must say..)

Before that, I read The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It takes place before the Civil War. The abolitionist John Brown becomes the guardian of a young slave boy named Henry.He thinks that Henry is a little girl,because when they meet,Henry is wearing a sack. Henry tries to correct him but gives up after a few times.

The book is based on fact(the raid on Harper's Ferry, though as with a lot of things,McBride takes quite a few liberties with history. John Brown's family *are* in this book, as are Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman(who John Brown calls "General".)

One aspect of the book that may bother people is usage of words that would have been common in John Brown's day. Yes, it's jarring. For the most part,The Good Lord Bird avoids the horrors of slavery.

There are three sections to the book- Free Deeds(Kansas), Slave Deeds(Missouri) and Legend(Virginia) The first two are shorter and are fairly quick reads;the third is much longer and covers  the lead up to the raid at Harper's Ferry.

Well worth reading if you have any sort of interest in history(which I do-it's hard to find *good* historical fiction.)

No comments:

Post a Comment